Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Review: Delirium

Delirium
Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: February 1, 2011

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.



But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

So, just like everyone else, I enjoyed Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall, and was anxious to see how Delirium turned out. Again, Oliver has created an original and creative story. She takes us into a world where love is considered a disiese in which everyone gets cured of at the age of eighteen.


Lena is counting down the days until she will be cured. After her mother committed suicide becasue she wasn't cured, Lena believes the only way she will ever be happy is when she's cured. But of course, once she meets Alex, she begins to question the rules and laws.

I enjoy dystopian novels quite a bit, and I thought the world in Delirium was done well. It's definitaly an interesting idea, and one that hasn't been done before. And while it's not the most well-done dystopian novel I've read, I enjoyed it. The story was easy to follow and fast-paced.

Dilirium is a read that you won't want to miss. I love the characters, and could not put it down. And the ending! The only reason to wait to read this would be to wait until closer to when the next one comes out, because you won't be able to wait.

rating:





3.5 Hearts

4 comments:

  1. This seems like a book I'd really enjoy. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Delirium earlier this week and I adored it. I don't think words can properly describe my love for this book. It's only January, but I think Delirium could very well be my favorite book of 2011.

    I'm happy to see you enjoyed it as well, even though you didn't love it as much as me. I agree about possibly waiting too- that ending was, gah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I'm on the fence about this one but your review is definitely helping tip the scales in favour of it.

    ReplyDelete