Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Review: Shadowspell

Shadowspell
Jenna Black
Release Date: January 4, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Rating: 3.5/5

On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?

I really enjoyed the first book, Glimmerglass, and was even more captivated by Shadowspell. It was a good story with a few surprises.


There were times when I loved Dana, and times when I wanted to slap her. I don't know if I would have made different decisions in her situation, but there were times when I wanted to scream at her "Don't do it! Nothing good can come of it!" Sh was, at times, very self involved, but had a kind and good heart.

Though I did enjoy this book, there were times that it did make me mad. In a good way though. Like, "I'm pissed off yet I have to read the next book to know what happens" kind of mad. I can't say why it mad me angry because that would give away spoilers.

Overall, I enjoyed Shadowspell. It has the elements to make a good fairie story. I'll definitely be picking up the next one

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, a sexy Erlking is interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete