Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Review: Breaking Nova by Jessica Sorensen

Breaking Nova (Nova #1)
Jessica Sorensen
Publisher: Forever
Release Date: September 3, 2013

Nova Reed used to have dreams-of becoming a famous drummer, of marrying her true love. But all of that was taken away in an instant. Now she's getting by as best she can, though sometimes that means doing things the old Nova would never do. Things that are slowly eating away at her spirit. Every day blends into the next . . . until she meets Quinton Carter. His intense, honey brown eyes instantly draw her in, and he looks just about as broken as she feels inside.

Quinton once got a second chance at life-but he doesn't want it. The tattoos on his chest are a constant reminder of what he's done, what he's lost. He's sworn to never allow happiness into his life . . . but then beautiful, sweet Nova makes him smile. He knows he's too damaged to get close to her, yet she's the only one who can make him feel alive again. Quinton will have to decide: does he deserve to start over? Or should he pay for his past forever?


(This review may contain slight spoilers, but nothing major)

I have been read a lot of Sorensen's novels lately. I haven't read her Fallen Star series but I love all of her contemporary new adult novels. When I found out that another of her books was available, I got it right away and started reading.

Breaking Nova is a lot different than Sorensen's other novels, or anything I'm used to reading for that matter. It's really dark and really intense. This is not a novel filled with angsty characters that are redeemed by love, like I initially thought. Like I said, it is a lot darker and more intense than I expected. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; I just wasn't expecting it and it's out of my comfort zone.

The two main characters in this novel are completely, utterly lost. They've both been through separate tragedies and are struggling to survive. Because of their situation, I found it was hard to connect with these characters. I could sympathize with them, sure, but it was hard to understand a few of their decisions.

This story is mostly about Nova. Throughout the novel, she has to lose herself more and more. Breaking Nova is the story of how Nova is able to find herself again after a tragedy. Even though I questioned Nova's decisions, I was so proud of her by the end of the novel.

Breaking Nova is not a romance--at least not in the sense I was thinking when I first picked it up. I honestly (and I never say this) did not think that the two main characters were good for each other. Quinton was not able to redeem himself like Nova. However, there is going to be a sequel so I'm not completely go against their relationship--hopefully things will get better for these two in the next book.

With an emphasis on drugs and suicide, Breaking Nova took me out of my comfort zone. These characters are deeply scarred, and for them, things have to get worse before they can get better. This dark novel is not one I'm likely going to reread, but I am anxiously waiting for the sequel.


Kapri

No comments:

Post a Comment