Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Review: Right of Way by Lauren Barnholdt

Right of Way
Lauren Barnholdt
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: July 9, 2013

Can a road trip repair a romance gone wrong? Find out in this standalone companion to Lauren Barnholdt’s Two-way Street.
Here are Peyton and Jace, meeting on vacation. Click! It’s awesome, it’s easy, it’s romantic. This is the real deal.
Unless it isn’t. Because when you’re in love, you don’t just stop calling one day. And you don’t keep secrets. Or lie. And when your life starts falling apart, you’re supposed to have the other person to lean on.
Here are Peyton and Jace again, broken up but thrown together on a road trip. One of them is lying about the destination. One of them is pretending not to be leaving something behind. And neither of them is prepared for what’s coming on the road ahead…



I will read pretty much read anything by  Lauren Barnholdt. When I found out she was not only writing another novel but it was a companion to Two-Way Street I was very excited.


I'm just going to start this reviewing by saying what I didn't like about this book. I had a similar problem with Right of Way as I did with Lauren's last book, Sometimes it Happens. I hope it's not becoming a thing with her. Anyway, throughout the novel we know that Peyton and Jace were together before, but something happened and now, at a wedding, there is tension between them. It is slowly revealed what happened. When what happened between them was finally revealed I just thought, "that's it? That's what all this drama is about?" The same thing happened in Sometimes it Happens; there was this build up and I was let down when it was finally revealed. 

Other than that aspect I enjoyed the novel. I couldn't stop reading it. Plus, it's a road trip novel! If you don't know by now novels about road trips are my favorite! I also appreciated the ending. It wasn't exactly wrapped up in a pretty bow; there was the unknown but I still knew the characters were going to be okay.

I also liked Peyton and Jace, even though they were both really frustrating at times. Jace overreacted to something incredibly stupid (back to the whole drama thing). And Peyton could be just as frustrating at times. But overall I was rooting for them. 

Overall, not my favorite Lauren Barnholdt novel. I still enjoyed it along with Lauren's writing and I'm looking forward to her next book. 


Kapri

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious and nervous about this one - I just absolutely LOVE Two Way Street so much, so I'm a bit nervous to read this one.

    ReplyDelete