Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Harmonic Feedback

Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly
rating 9/10
Release Date May 25, 2010

Sixteen-year-old music and sound design obsessed Drea doesn't have friends. She has, as she's often reminded, issues. Drea's mom and a rotating band of psychiatrists have settled on "a touch of Asperger's."



Having just moved to the latest in a string of new towns, Drea meets two other outsiders. And Naomi and Justin seem to actually like Drea. The three of them form a trip-hop band after an impromptu jam session. Justin swiftly challenges not only Drea's preference for Poe over Black Lab but also her perceived inability to connect with another person. Justin, against all odds, may even like like Drea.


It's obvious that Drea can't hide behind her sound equipment anymore. But just when she's found not one but two true friends, can she stand to lose one of them?

I don't know how to start, other than say that this book was fantastic. One thing that makes it so great was how real it was. The caracters, the story, the writing; it was all just something else. Tara Kelly did a wonderful job on this debut novel.


In the beginning, we meet Drea, who has Asberger's Syndrome and ADHD. Even though I can't really relate to either of those, Drea herself was very easy to relate to. Then Naomi comes along and is Drea's first friend in a long time. Naomi has a lot of issues, adn even though she was stupid at times, I couldn't help but feel sympathy for her. Then Drea meets Justin, and can't help but fall for him through the book.

This is one of the better novels that I've read in a while. Once I started I couldn't stop. The ending left me both breathless and speechless.

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh I want this one so bad! Not only does it have an AH-MAZING cover but it sounds like a really gripping and unique story too. Thanks for the review!

    ~Briana :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one. it has a lot of great elements that interest me. I also enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete