Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: Sometimes it Happens

Sometimes It HappensSometimes it Happens
Lauren Barnholdt
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release Date: July 12, 2011
Pages: 320


This novel opens on the first day of Hannah’s senior year, but the story really starts on the last day of her junior year. That’s when Hannah not only gets dumped by her boyfriend, Ryan, but she also finds out her best friend, Ava, is going to be gone for the entire summer. But Ava’s boyfriend, Noah, is definitely around—and such a good guy that he snags Hannah a job at the diner where he works. Hannah and Noah move from coworkers, to friends….and one night, to something more.Now it’s back to school, where Hannah will see Ryan, Ava, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, Hannah will learn a lot about love, friendship…and herself.
I'll be the first to admit that I really don't like the 'hooking up with best friend's boyfriend' plot. I try to avoid it as much as possible. Why did I read this book, the very thing I was avoiding? Because I love Lauren Barnholdt. I'll read anything by her. And there's a reason for that. She managed to take a plot that I really don't like and turn it into a book I really enjoyed. 
The story is told through two different times: the summer, when everything happened, and the first day of school, when everything blew up. This book didn't make me mad like I thought it would. It was actually very engaging and done well for what it was.
Hannah wasn't my favorite female character, but I still liked her. Even though she was whiny at times, she was still a good person. And Noah didn't come across too shabby himself, either. Very swoon-worthy. The one who I had a problem with was Ava. She was very manipulative, always acting superior to Hannah. I also liked other characters, including Lacey, as quirky as she was. I think the characters are a big part of what made this book good. 
Another good book to add to the awesomeness that is Lauren Barnholdt. A very engaging and somewhat addicting novel, Sometimes it Happens is a great contemporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment