Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Friday, March 4, 2011

Review: Cloaked

Cloaked
Alex Flinn
Released: February 8, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins

Rating: 3/5 stars

I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.



It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.


There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.

Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.

Let me just start by saying I love Alex Flinn's retellings. I absolutely adore them. But, sadly, this one just didn't do it for as much as the others. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it. It was enjoyable. It just wasn't as good as her others.


That being said, Cloaked was a fun adventure. It more focused on the adventure than anything else. Which was good. It made it a lot of fun. I also liked how it combined a bunch of different fairy tells, instead of just one. Though, I didn't exactly know all of them. But after reading Cloaked, it makes me want to go out and read the the entire Grim Brotheres collection.

Johnny was a fun character. I liked how selfless he was, with having to help his mom and everything. I can't say he was quite unforgetable, but I was rooting for him the whole time. I liked following his story.

I must say, I wish that this would have had more romance in it. Don't get me wrong, it did. But not as much as I would have liked. But, what was in it was well written.

Cloaked was a fun novel. If you like fairy tale retellings, check this out along with Flinn's others. This is not like most retellings; it was very unique. Though it was a fun read, I can't say that I loved it. I enjoyed it, but I probably won't be rereading it anytime soon

Rating:





3 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment