Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Queen of the Dead

Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
Queen of the Dead
Stacey Kade
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Release Date: June 7, 2011

After being sent back from the light, Alona Dare - former homecoming queen, current Queen of the Dead - finds herself doing something she never expected: working. Instead of spending days perfecting her tan by the pool (her typical summer routine when she was, you know, alive), Alona must now cater to the needs of other lost spirits. By her side for all of this - ugh - “helping of others” is Will Killian: social outcast, seer of the dead, and someone Alona cares about more than she’d like.



Before Alona can make a final ruling on Will’s “friend” or “more” status, though, she discovers trouble at home. Her mom is tossing out Alona’s most valuable possessions, and her dad is expecting a new daughter with his wicked wife. Is it possible her family is already moving on? Hello! She’s only been dead for two months! Thankfully, Alona knows just the guy who can put a stop to this mess.


Unfortunately for Alona, Will has other stuff on his mind, and Mina, a young (and beautiful) seer, is at the top of the list. She’s the first ghost-talker Will’s ever met—aside from his father—and she may hold answers to Will’s troubled past. But can she be trusted? Alona immediately puts a check mark in the “clearly not” column. But Will is - ahem - willing to find out, even if it means leaving a hurt and angry Alona to her own devices, which is never a good idea.
 
I really enjoyed The Ghost and the Goth, so I couldn't wait for the sequel. Though I didn't enjoy it as much, it was still a fun ride.


I didn't think that I would, but I really liked Alona. Although, there were times in this book that she bothered me. There were a couple times when she was selfish and she overreacted. But I think that was just her nature.

And, of corse, I loved Will. He was an overall sweet guy. We got to know him a lot more in this book, about his background and where his powers come from. It was really interesting to see his past revealed.

 I thought Queen of the Dead was different from most books. It was pretty cheesey, though not as much as the cover might suggest. I have to say, I did not see the end coming. But I was happy it all worked out. The ending was a little rushed, but like I said, it ended well.

I felt like Queen of the Dead was a good sequel to The Ghost and the Goth. It wasn't what I expected, but I still enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment