Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)Bitterblue (Graceling Realm #3)
Kristin Cashore
Publisher: Dial
Release Date: May 1, 2012

Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea. But the influence of her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities, lives on. Her advisors, who have run things since Leck died, believe in a forward-thinking plan: Pardon all who committed terrible acts under Leck’s reign, and forget anything bad ever happened. But when Bitterblue begins sneaking outside the castle—disguised and alone—to walk the streets of her own city, she starts realizing that the kingdom has been under the thirty-five-year spell of a madman, and the only way to move forward is to revisit the past.
Two thieves, who only steal what has already been stolen, change her life forever. They hold a key to the truth of Leck’s reign. And one of them, with an extreme skill called a Grace that he hasn’t yet identified, holds a key to her heart.

This review may contain spoilers for Graceling and Fire.  
I am very conflicted with this book. On the one hand, it was everything I wanted it to be. I was sucked into the story and and once again enchanted by this world. But in some parts, I was expecting more. 
Bitterblue has come  a long way since Graceling. She has been through so much and even after several years is still having a hard time adjusting to everything. And to make worse for her, there are several events in Bitterblue that test Bitterblue and try to push her over the edge. But after everything, and with the help of a few of our favorite friends, she ultimately finds the strength in herself. And she just finds herself in general. I liked Bitterblue because her strength was mostly found in her intellect. 
We definitely see a different side of this world in Bitterblue. It is primarily focuses on the kingdom of Monsea. I did like that we got to see a different side.
This was a completely different journey than in the first two. While the first two were more physical journeys, the one in Bitterblue is more of a conquest of the mind. There are still some heartbreaking moments in this book, maybe more so than before. This was still a very intriguing and addicting ride. One that I just couldn't get enough of. 
Now, my biggest issue with the book is the ending. It was just one of those that left a lot open. I'm one of those people who need more conclusion to my series. Because of that, every time I think of this book I just feel this...sadness.
So, overall, Bitterblue was everything I hoped it would be on paper. But I just wanted more out of the ending, especially of this amazing series. But I'm sure most people won't feel that way. 



1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this book. It is probably my favorite in the series. I love how everything gets tied together from the other books. I agree that the ending is open, but I was happy with it.

    ReplyDelete