Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Review: Stork by Wendy Delsol

Stork (Stork, #1)Stork (Stork #1)
Wendy Delsol
Publisher: Candlewick
Release Date: October 12, 2010

Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.

Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.


Stork is one of those books that has been sitting on my shelf for a while, and I just now picked up. I haven't heard much about it or the series, so I didn't know what to expect. Turns out I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.

I don't know if I'm alone here, but this book started very abruptly and I found that very confusing. I thought this would be a reflection on the rest of the book, so I wasn't so sure I was going to like it in the beginning. Thankfully, I got more into it once it explained things and I got to know the characters.

I ended up really liking Kat as a character. She was quirky and fun. There were a few times (toward the end) when she could be a little slow on the up-take, but there were also moments where her strength shone threw.

When I read that this book was about Storks, I wasn't sure what to expect. But it was very interesting and original. Like it says in the description, this novel features Norse mythology with Hans Christian Anderson references. Again, very unique and original and I enjoyed that aspect of the story.

I really enjoyed Stork, more than I expected I would. I though it was very original and I liked the characters. However, with the way it ended, even more excited to see where the next books will take us.
Kapri

No comments:

Post a Comment