Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Thursday, July 18, 2013

New Adult Review: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1)The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence #1)
Jessica Sorensen
Release Date: December 1, 2012

There are those who don't get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don't get saved.
Luck was not on Callie's side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it's all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it's a struggle just to breathe.
For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.
Now he can't stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. the more he tries to be a part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved. 
I was really surprised by this novel. When I first picked it up, I was expecting a cute, fun read. What I wasn't expecting was for this to pack such an emotional punch. 

Both Callie and Kayden have had painful pasts that they have yet come to terms with. Callie and Kayden were just so damaged. I definitely feel that I sympathized with them more than I empathized with them. But I just wanted them to be happy. Kayden was better at hiding than Callie, and it took me a good chunk into the book to realize how much he was hurting. Both of these characters came a long way from the beginning of the book, mainly with trusting others and letting each other in. They still weren't completely healed, though, which was very frustrating.

For a fairly short novel, I think it was paced well. The relationship between these two characters grew (for the most part) at a good pace. I thought that I had everything in this novel figured out, but I was wrong. The last fifty or so pages of this book really pack a punch. Sorensen through some last minute punches and killed me with this ending.

Overall, I was very impressed with this novel. It was an addicting read that had me rooting for the characters and screaming at the ending. I'm anxiously waiting for the next book in this series.

Kapri

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE when books mess with your emotions. I've never seen this book before, but I'll have to pick it up! I'm digging that font treatment on the cover too :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah whenever I see this around I want to start reading it now! And I really like that it surprised you at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh! SO excited to read this one Kapri! I've heard such great things about it and I love a book that packs an emotional punch, so I can't wait to give this book a try. Thanks for your thoughts:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you enjoyed this novel!! I read this back in December and thought it was so good. I agree with you on the relationship pacing with Callie and Ethan. It was a little quick, but it still managed to feel realistic. Anyhow, you have to try Jessica's other book The Secret of Micha and Ella if you haven't already. It's just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog background is gorgeous! I know now to never expect a YA contemporary to just be a light, fun read. They all seem to have a really emotional feel and deal with serious issues. I love a book that can surprise me!

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that I really like your blog, it's so cute. You've got yourself a new follower! :)

    I've seen Rachel's review for these books and I really want to read them, but then again I'm scared because NA tends to disappoint me these days. I'm glad you enjoyed and I like it deals with some serious stuff. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I don't hope to diminish anyone else's interest or enthusiasm for this book, I can't understand any of the hype, high sales, or great ratings for this book and the author's other titles, if they are at all similar. Read at your own risk.

    Zaira Lynn (Skagway)

    ReplyDelete