Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
Morgan Matson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release Date: May 4, 2010
rating 9/10

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

I was so excited to finally read this one! I've been wanting to for so long. I had very high expectations, and it went above and beyond what I was expecting.

I loved Amy. Her father died three months ago in an accident she was in. Now she hast o deal with moving to a new place and a brother who was recently sent to rehab. She was very quiet and kind and someone I can relate to.

I also loved her relationship with Roger. At first, it's just him driving her from California to Cenneticut, but once they start it turns into more of a personal trip. Roger is trying to find and get back together with his ex. They go to Colorado together even thought the longer the trip goes, the more Amy starts to like him.

Amy has some demons to face, too, on the trip. I won't give away anything, but she starts to come out of her shell and starts recovering from everything she's been through. Through it all her relationship with Roger grow, too.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone. It was beautifully written and I loved every minute of it.

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I've heard good things about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I keep putting off purchasing this novel. It's obviously brilliant as everyone has said so. I really need to buy it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LIKE the cover.

    Wondering when you'll announce your Big Box o' Books 'n' Stuff winner????

    ReplyDelete