Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Review: The Eternal Ones

The Eternal Ones
Kirsten Miller
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: August 10, 2010
rating 9/10

What if love refused to die?



Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.


In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

I really did enjoy The Eternal Ones. It was suspenseful and definitely one of the better mysteries that I've read in a while.

I really didn't know what to think or who to believe or if Haven should do this or that. The entire thing was very well played out. If there was just one thing, though, that bothered me, I'd have to say that it went back and forth too much. I mean, it's over 400 pages, and about 300 of those are just going to circles. Other than that, though, I loved it.

I felt bad for Haven at the beginning of the book. In the small town she lives in she's branded as possessed when she starts having visions. No one understands her and all she wants to do is find answers. When she goes off to find some answers, what she ends up finding is more questions. This one especially: Who to trust? I didn't know the answer to this myself. Every time I made a prediction, I turned out to be completely wrong; I eventually gave up on guessing.

The Eternal Ones will pull you in and won't let go until you figure out what happens. It's very original and Kirsten Miller did a fabulous job on writing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to read this one, I tend to like the ones that make you keep guessing:) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete