Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Review: The Twin's Daughter

The Twin's Daughter
Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Release Date: September 1, 2010

Lucy Sexton is stunned when a disheveled woman appears at the door one day... a woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to Lucy's own beautiful mother. It turns out the two women are identical twins, separated at birth, and raised in dramatically different circumstances. Lucy's mother quickly resolves to give her less fortunate sister the kind of life she has never known. And the transformation in Aunt Helen is indeed remarkable. But when Helen begins to imitate her sister in every way, even Lucy isn't sure at times which twin is which. Can Helen really be trusted, or does her sweet face mask a chilling agenda?



Filled with shocking twists and turns, The Twin's Daughter is an engrossing gothic novel of betrayal, jealousy, and treacherous secrets that will keep you guessing to the very end.
 
I love Lauren's books. I've only read a few of her works, but I loved all of them, and The Twin's Daughter is no exception. I wouldn't say it's my favorite of her's, but I was delighted by how it turned out.


When I started this book, I had no idea where the story would take me. It had a terrible description so I was expecting a light, playful novel. But what I thought would be loight turned into a fierce murder mystery.

This started super slow. It took well over one hundred pages to even get anywhere. But once it got going it picked up and ran. The mystery to it threw me off. I was so sure of one thing then the opposite would happen. I have seen mysteries done a lot better, but for this kind of book it was delicous.

This was a decently romantic book. Romance obviously didn't play a huge part of the book, but whay it did play a role in was good. It was sweet and worked well with everything else in the book.

Lucy was a sweet girl. Incredibly naive and a forgettable character overall, but in the end she turned out the be very selfless. She was perfect to watch go through the journey of the book.

The Twin's Daughter was a reasonably good mystery. I think Lauren is an incredible writer. Thes was an inventive plot, per usual of hers. I would definitely reccomend this book. 

Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I've heard some positive things about this one, sounds intriguing...thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete