Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dear Big V


Dear Big V by Ellen W. Leroe
rating 5/10

Courtney Condon, a funny, off-beat junior, is caught smack in the middle of the war between the Lewds and the Prudes at Delaware-Valley High School. Court's the founder of an abstinence club at Dull-Val. But when she's assigned an Op Ed piece for the school paper that forces her to work with Lance, the major player and hottest guy at school, this up-close and personal contact with Lance throws her into a Whirlwind of Confusion over her chaste ideals. Meanwhile, Courtney's staunchly devout, strict-Catholic mom is pushing her own form of prudishness to the point of alienating the entire family, especially when Mom catches Court in a lip-lock with Lance in his car, right in her very own driveway! Laugh-out-loud funny, Dear Big V illuminates the conflict between hormones and values that teens face every day. 

I guess all I can say is I really did not like this book. I found it boring and very hard to get into.


The main character, Courtney, is one of the main problems I had with this book. She really annoyed me. There was just something about her her that I didn't like. She was irrational, a little bit obsessed, and just plain stupid at times. For example, her relationship with Lance. At one point she claims she thinks she is in love with him, but in truth they only even talked a couple of times.

This book may be okay for some people, but just not for me. I didn't like the writing style or any of the characters and it just seemed, in a way, kind of plotless.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this before.. it sounds okay. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete