Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review: The DUFF

The DUFF
Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Number of Pages: 288, hardcover

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.



But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.


Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

I've been hearing amazing things about this one, so I was extremely excited to read it. Let me just say, it does deserve most of the hype it's been getting. By the time I finished reading it, I loved the characters and their story.


I must admit, the first half of the book I did not enjoy. I'm not really sure why. Bianca seemed almost too snotty and negative. I just didn't connect with her at first. But the second half of the book, I LOVED. I started liking Bianca more. I think I just started sympathizing with her and that helped.

Keplinger did a fantastic job with her debut novel. I thought the snarky and sarcastic writing was both hilarious and heart breaking. Bianc'as issues with her family and relationships weaved together perfectly. And Bianca's attitude and decisions-- while I didn't agree with some of them-- were realistic.

The DUFF told a true and real story. It speaks about something that everyone can connect to in some way or another. It's not something you come across every day.
 
 
 
Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this book around so much, but I never really gave it much thought despite all the positive ratings. I'm glad I read your review. I'm now adding it to my TBR.

    I found your post through the comment exchange program, BTW.

    ReplyDelete