Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

One MomentOne Moment 
Kristina McBride
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Release Date: June 26, 2012

This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget.
Maggie remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party. She remembers climbing the trail with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can't she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below-dead? As Maggie's memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding? The latest novel from the author of "The Tension of Opposites," "One Moment" is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.
Prior to Reading: Even though it wasn't one of my favorites, I really enjoyed McBride's debut novel, The Tension of Opposites. I was excited to see how this one would turn out. 

Review: One Moment is, beyond all else, a mystery. Not in a traditional sense, but in so many ways. One Moment is a very quick read. Not only because it is short, but because it is one of those novels where the reader cannot stop reading until the conclusion brings answers. I can't say that the book was totally unpredictable, but I enjoyed watching the story unfold. 

Despite the subject matter, this is not a book about grieving. Like I said before, One Moment focuses on figuring out what exactly happened to Joey. Grief was touched upon (how can it not be) but if you are looking for a tear-jerker or anything like that. That's not to say that this was a lighter book. It was very serious, as one can probably imagine. 
The characters were not a main focus in this book. I am a character girl myself so I would have liked to see a little more developmental. I liked Maggie fine, but she's not exactly a memorable character.  

This is looking over the cliff
Overall: One Moment is definitely a book for those who like mystery. It is fast-paced and can be suspenseful at times. Although it's not my favorite, I enjoyed reading it. 


Bronze Medal

1 comment:

  1. I like reading mystery books but mystery in YA is pretty new to me. I do want to read this book and knowing that I will probably finish it in a single setting is kind of a motivation.

    Great review, Kapri! =D

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete