Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Second Chance SummerSecond Chance Summer
Morgan Matson
Publisher: Simon and Schuster's Children's Publishing
Release Date: May 8, 2012

From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak. 
Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.
Prior to reading: I absolutely loved Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, so I was excited but wary to read Matson's sophomore novel. I wanted it to be great like Amy and Roger and didn't want to be disappointed. 

Review: With the cover, title, and description, this looks like a light summer read. Second Chance Summer actually deals with a lot tougher things. There are definitely a few tear-inducing moments in this book. But that doesn't mean this book isn't a great summer read. In between those tears there are laugh out loud moments as well. 

Taylor has been going through a lot. She has a habit of running away when things get uncomfortable or awkward. And now she can't run away anymore; she must face the past and the future. I loved watching Taylor grow up during this book. And she does. 

One of my favorite things about Taylor, and Matson's writing, is her voice. This is what makes the book so funny at times. She is just so sarcastic; it's great! I just loved hearing her humor. 

This book is over four hundred pages but it does not seem like it is that long at all. It goes by really fast and by the end I was wishing there was more. 

Overall: I was very happy with Second Chance Summer. Filled with heartache and heart-warming moments, I was not disappointed in the least. The great characters and a fantastic setting completes a great summer read. At this rate, Matson will quickly become one of my favorite authors. 
Gold Medal

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this measured up to Amy & Roger's Epic Detour (one of my faves!)! Planning to finally read it this week. :) Great review!

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you love this! I haven't read this yet but I really want to since reading Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. Great review!

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is definitely on my TBR. I really enjoyed Amy & Roger's Epic Detour and am looking forward to reading this as well. I'm glad to hear it doesn't disappoint in comparison!

    ReplyDelete