Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Friday, August 10, 2012

Another Type of Heroines

A few weeks ago I did a Kick-Ass heroine post. I think it's pretty unanimous to us readers that we love a good female character who can kick some butt. Then I got to thinking. There are other types of characters and heroines who are equally as awesome but are not the typical kick-ass type. The type of heroines I'm referring to, my friends, are the smart girls. 

These aren't as abundant as the BA girls and in my opinion not appreciated enough. I've come across a few girls who can kick some butt, not physically, but sure can solve some problems using other parts of the body (get your mind out of the gutter!). While I do love and appreciate a girl who is really BA, I enjoy my smart heroines, too. 

Here are a few:
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)
Sydney from Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
If there is one thing Sydney is, it's smart. Not only book smart (which she is) but can problem-solve, too. (Although socially, not so much.)

Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
Bitterblue in Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
There are quite a few mysteries and unknowns in this book, and Bitterblue has to use her wits in order solve them. She is great at solving puzzles and codes and all of that. 

Now, my question is: do we have to choose? The perfect heroine for me would be someone who is really smart, uses her wits, but can kick some butt, too. I mean, there are some smart and strong characters out there, but I'm talking about the absolutely brilliant ones who are strong physically as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment