Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Cinder

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)Cinder
Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Pages: 387

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
I thought that Cinder would be an amazing read--and I was right. It had everything I hoped it would: romance, intrigue, kick-butt characters. 

This may be based on Cinderella, but it is so much more. I quite enjoyed something different from the home by midnight/ glass slipper scenario. And considering this isn't what I thought it would be, I was quite surprised by the ride that was Cinder.

I found that I got quite attached to the characters. From Cinder to Kai to Peony. I really grew to like Cinder, and really felt for her through the book. 

One aspect of the book that I could have enjoyed more was the world. With cyborgs and living on the moon and everything, it was more sci-fi than anything else. And I just am not a sci-fi fan, which caused trouble getting into this world. That's not to say that others will have this problem; it's just a personal issue.

I think that Cinder is one that all can enjoy. I can't wait for the next installment.

1 comment:

  1. I've been hearing so much about this book. It reminds me of Girl Genius, which I looooove. So can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete