Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Forbidden

ForbiddenForbidden
Syrie and Ryan James
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 24, 2012
Pages: 411

She Should not exist.
He should not love her.
Claire Brennan has been attending Emerson Academy for two years now (the longest she and her mom have remained anywhere) and she's desperate to stay put for the rest of high school. So there's no way she's going to tell her mom about the psychic visions she's been having or the creepy warnings that she's in danger.
Alec MacKenzie is fed up with his duties to watch and, when necessary, eliminate the descendants of his angelic forefathers. He chose Emerson as the ideal hiding place where he could be normal for once. He hadn't factored Claire into his plans...
Their love is forbidden, going against everything Alec has been taught to believe. But when the reason behind Claire's unusual powers is revealed and the threat to her life becomes clear, how far will Alec go to protect her?
I am a huge angel fan and Forbidden seemed right up my ally. I wanted to love Forbidden. I really did.  But I just did not get into it like I would have liked. It was an entertaining and enjoyable story, but I had a few problems with it. 

The main problem that I had with this book were the characters. While watching Claire with her friends was fun at times, most of the time she was very immature. One thing that I really do not like in my heroines is immaturity. And Alec. I wanted so much to be romanced by him. And while he had his moments, he was just not my favorite part of the book. 

Another thing that I didn't like was Alec and Claire's relationship. While it wasn't insta-love, the two were very inf actuated with each other, becoming way to dependent of the other. 

There were parts of Forbidden that I did like. I loved the idea and the story and the world. It was very interesting and I loved learning about this world of angels. And while the books was a little slow at times, it was very enjoyable.

Overall, while Forbidden isn't my favorite angel book, there was still an enjoyable quality to it. 

1 comment:

  1. I was debating buying this book but I probably will wait a little while longer on it. I love angel books too, but if the characters aren't good then it isn't worth it! Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete