Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky

Under the Never SkyUnder the Never Sky
Veronica Rossi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Pages: 400

Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction. 
As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions. 
They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY
.
As I finished Under the Never Sky, I had mixed feelings about it. In the end, I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters and there was this addicting quality in which I found that I couldn't put the down.

Initially I wasn't sure what this was about. Or more accurately, what it was. Dystopian? High Fantasy? I just didn't know. As it turns out, it was a mix of both, among other things. I liked the concept of this, although the world was the main problem I had with this book. In the beginning, it jumped right into the story, not explaining much. I was very confused, and there really was no remedy to this. I was confused as the book went on, though I was able to get over this for the most part.

On the other hand, I really liked the characters. Perry and Aria--I enjoyed so much getting to know them. Aria, who was very curious and venerable, yet was able to find her strength with the help of Perry. And Perry--so loyal and sweet. I enjoyed getting to know his layers.

I also liked how their relationship developed. They were always kind to each other, curious of the other. Their loved developed at a good pace.

Under the Never Sky is a novel of intrigue. This is the perfect example of the fact that characters matter. I was a little put of by the world (or more of the way the world was presented), the novel was redeemed by the characters. I can't wait to see more of Aria and Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment