Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Monday, May 14, 2012

Review: Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Breaking BeautifulBreaking Beautiful
Jennifer Shaw Wolf
Publisher: Walker Children's
Release Date: April 24, 2012

Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship. When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness


I'm going to apologize in advance for this review, or lack thereof. Every once in a while I read a book and just have trouble putting my thoughts into words. I try to avoid reviewing books like this, but I can't with this one. But I'll try my best.

I did enjoy Breaking Beautiful. It was an enticing story of mystery and romance. It wasn't really what I was expecting, but I liked what I got.

Allie was very disconnected in the beginning of the story. And after what happened, who can blame her? It took a while to really get to know her. Although there were some decisions on her part that I didn't  aggree with (one big one in particular), I did like her for the most part. 

There were other characters that I really liked. Blake being my favorite. And I also really liked Allie's brother, Andrew.

While I did really enjoy this book, there was a...decision that was made on Allie's part toward the end that I did not agree with. What could be seen as selfless on Allie's part i saw as cowardly. I can't say what without spoiling anything. Everything turned out okay but the book wasn't as good in my eyes. 

I did, for the most part, enjoy Breaking Beautiful. I was intrigued by the mystery and romance. I will be reading more of Wolf's works.

So, there's my kind-of review. Again, sorry if it's a little lacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment