Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Review: Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg

 Take a BowTake a Bow
Elizabeth Eulberg
Publisher: Point
Release Date: April 1, 2012

From the fantastic author of The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom & Prejudice comes a story of all the drama and comedy of four friends who grow into themselves at a performing arts high school.Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.
Elizabeth Euelberg's first two novels were very cute and fun--and take a Bow was no different. Although there were a few problems, I still really enjoyed it. 

In Take a Bow, there were four main characters--Emme, Ethan, Sophie, and Carter. Some I liked--and some I didn't.

I'm going to start with Sophie. She was so selfish--and not in a way that makes a character real. She was willing to take down anyone to get what she wants. Regardless, I don't think you, as the reader, are supposed to like her. She's a character you love to hate. 

And Ethan. He just needed to grow a pair. He did, eventually. And I did grow to like him. Even though he was pretty needy, he was still sweet.

Emme was very naive, to a fault.She was a real pushover. But toward the end I felt that she really grew strong. I ended up really liking her in the end.

Oh, Carter. He was by far my favorite. I felt he was the most real even though he was a child star. He really had to work to find himself. He was sweet and caring. I already said this, but he was my favorite character.

This was a short and light read; nothing too serious. I do wish there was more focus on the school aspect. I would have liked to see more of the performing arts boarding school dynamics. 

Take a Bow goes great with Eulber's other books; it's light and fun. I do wish there was more, but I did enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment