Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)The Calling
Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: April 10, 2012

Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evildoers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.


I was pleasantly surprised by The Calling. I still don't like this series as much as The Darkest Powers series, but this series is getting better.

It really picks up in The Calling. Not much happened in the last book, until the end that is, and this one was a lot more action packed and fast-paced. Even though there is more action in this book, we still don't know a lot about what the characters are. There weren't many answers in this book, and even more questions. 

Even though I like Maya, she did get on my nerves at times in this book. There were things she didn't see that were obvious. But I do applaud her loyalty towards those she loves. She can kick butt at times, too. 

I must say I really enjoyed all little peaks of the characters from The Darkest Powers series in this book. We don't know anything more about them, but it's coming. I will admit that the biggest reason why I'm reading and continuing this series is that in the third book (the next one!) the character from the two series will meet. I'm so excited!

The Calling is a good edition to this series. Can this series stand on it's own? I don't know, but it's pretty close. I do know that now I'm super excited for the next book!

Also, check out my review for The Gathering, the first book in the series. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the covers in this series..so simple yet captivating. Sweet review!

    ~Shane @Itchingforbooks.blogspot.com
    new follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I agree--the Darkest Powers series held my attention better. I liked The Calling, but it seemed like none of the questions I had were answered. I wanted more! I guess we'll see in book three. :) Great review.
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete