Book Fanatics Home Challenges Review Policy Friday Posts Reviews Image Map

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Review: Purity by Jackson Pearce

PurityPurity
Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 24, 2012

A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.
Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.


I am a big fan of Pearce's other books, especially Sisters Red, and was really excited for her contemporary debut. Although it wasn't my favorite, I enjoyed Purity. It was filled with heartache, development, and a few laughs.

One things that Purity did not lack was Jackson Pearce's way with words. The writing is so clever and so truthful. I really enjoyed this part of Purity.

Shelby has really struggled since her mom died. she has been obsessed with the promises she made her mom because she feels that it will bring her closer to her mom. A big part of this book was Shelby's healing process and her finding a balance with her promises. I didn't always agree with Shelby's decisions, but I did like and respect her. She really came into herself throughout the book.

Purity is a fast read. It was really short and I'm not going to lie, I wanted more. I got really into the world of Purity and it ended too fast. However, I did enjoy what was there. I guess if there has to be a problem with a book, wanting more isn't the worst that could happen.

Jackson Pearce's first contemporary is a good edition to her collection. Even though I didn't like it as much as her others, I am looking forward to more of her contemps.

No comments:

Post a Comment